Hostel Survival Guide [Singapore]
Hostels. Love it or hate it, hostels are, and will continue to be, an integral part of tourism in Singapore.
No matter what your reason is for staying at a hostel, you can be sure to find one that suits your needs.
- Looking for affordable and good quality accommodation in expensive Singapore?
- Backpacking through Asia and just transiting in Singapore for a single night?
- No place to stay with little money in your pocket?
- Wanna share a dorm room with ten friends and wreak havoc together?
- Finding low cost accommodation for a short working stint?
Singapore Hostel Survival Guide (SHSG) is a series of blog posts that comprises of short stories, tips and tricks, insider knowledge as well as anything remotely related to the hostel environment in our sunny little island.
If you are thinking of making a reservation for a hostel stay in Singapore, I’m sure Singapore Hostel Survival Guide would be an extremely useful read.
Hostel Culture in Singapore
Hostels in Singapore are no longer associated with only backpackers. In case you didn’t know, Singapore is a very, very expensive city. Staying in a hotel for one night is going to set you back by at least SGD$100, and we’re talking about a basic room that is nowhere near the city centre.
In a typical hostel, chances are you might find the following five types of folks staying with you –
- Southeast Asian – families
- Southeast Asian – friends
- Asian working class, often in Singapore for a short working stint
- Long term stayers looking for rental apartment in Singapore
Do not be surprised to find that backpackers, on average, only make up about 20% to 30% of all guests in the hostel. The reason for the increasing number of hostels in Singapore is largely due to the huge demand from our neighbouring countries.
Interested to Learn More?
I’ll be following up with a couple more posts, all focusing on the hostel scene in Singapore with topics such as cheap hostels, what to expect when checking in, reservation tips and tricks etc. Check out this space for more updates!